ANGR 280C: CORE SEMINAR in
Professor: Tanya M. Luhrmann
SCHEDULE OF TOPICS
Psychoanalytic approaches to mental illness.
- Readings: Malcolm Gladwell, (4 Nov 1996) "The Science of
Shopping". The New Yorker. , pp. 66-75.
- Charles Brenner. (1973) An elementary textbook of
psychoanalysis. New York: Doubleday. pp. 1-14.
- Sigmund Freud. (1957) "Mourning and Melancholia."
- Anna Freud. (1966) "The ego and the mechanisms of defense."
- Robert Lindner. (1959) "The jet-propelled couch." In The
- Gregory Bateson,  "Toward a theory of schizophrenia," in
Steps to an Ecology of Mind. New York: Ballantine Books. pp.
- Melanie Klein. (1975 ) "Envy and Gratitude" In Envy and
Gratitude & other works 1946-1963 New York: Delta. pp. 176-235.
The major mental disorders: schizophrenia, major depression,
& bipolar disorder; DSM-IV diagnosis, and biomedical approaches
to mental illness.
- Susan Sheehan. Is there no place on earth for
me? New York: Random House. pp. 3-37.
- William Styron. (1990) Darkness Visible. New York: Random
House. pp. 29-84.
- Kay Redfield Jamison. (1995) An Unquiet Mind New York:
Alfred A Knopf. pp. 67-123.
- Hagop Akiskal. (?) "Chapter 16.1: Mood Disorders: introduction
and overview" In Kaplan and Sadock: Comprehensive Handbook of
Psychiatry pp. 1067-1079
- William T. Carpenter, Jr. and Robert W. Buchanan. (?) "Chapter
14.1: Schizophrenia: introduction and overview" In Kaplan and
Sadock: Comprehensive Handbook of Psychiatry pp. 889-902
- Nancy Andreason and Donald W. Black. (1995) "Dissociative
Disorders" In Introductory Textbook of Psychiatry.
Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Press. pp. 363-374
- C. Robert Cloninger, Dragan M. Srakic, and Thomas Pryzbeck.
(1993) "A Psychobiological Model of Temperament and Character" In
Archives of General Psychiatry. Vol. 50. December 1993. pp.
How culture shapes emotion at a deep level.
Anger in the Arctic, moral anger in the Pacific.
- Jean Briggs. Never in Anger Cambridge: Harvard
University Press. pp. 1-40, 109-175.
- Catherine Lutz. Unnatural Emotions
The Culture and Personality school: Mead and Benedict.
How society creates conflicts for people. How to be a gender
- Margaret Mead. (1935) Sex and Temperament New
York: William Morrow & Company. pp. 237-309.
- Ruth Benedict. The Chrysanthemum and the Sword Chs. 1, 3,
7-8, 10, 12.
How to learn to be crazy.
- Erving Goffman. (1961) Asylums Garden City, NY:
Doubleday. pp. 1-13.
- Sue Estroff. (1981) Making it Crazy Berkeley: University
of California Press. pp. 3-67, 174-198, 240-248.
- Models of the self, models of the person.
- Readings: Marcel Mauss. (1985) "A category of the human mind:
the notion of person; the notion of self" Translated by W. D. Halls,
In The Category of the Person: anthropology, philosophy,
history. New York: Cambridge University Press. pp. 1-25
- Hazel Markus and Shinobu Kitayama. (1994) "A Collective Fear of
the Collective: implications for selves and theories of selves" In
PSPB (Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin?) vol. 20,
No. 5, October 1994. pp. 568-579.
- Ulric Neisser. (1988) "Five Kinds of Self-Knowledge" In
Philosophical Psychology, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 35-59.
- Daniel Stern. (1985) The Interpersonal World of the Infant: a
view from psychoanalysis and developmental psychology New York:
Basic Books. pp. 69-123
- Jack Goody. (1977) The Domestication of the Savage Mind
Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. pp. 1-18
- Richard A. Shweder and Edmund J. Bourne. (1991) "Does the
concept of the person vary cross-culturally?" in Thinking Through
Cultures: expeditions in cultural psychology. Richard A.
Shweder, ed. Cambridge: Harvard University Press. pp. 113-155
- Dorinne K. Kondo. (1990) Crafting Selves: power, gender, and
discourses of identity in a Japanese workplace. Chicago:
University of Chicago Press. pp. 3-48.
- Clifford Geertz. (1983) "'From the Native's Point of View': on
the nature of anthropological understanding" In Local
Knowledge New York: Basic Books. pp. 55-70
Society resolves or at least manages conflict.
Mental illness and its prognosis
- Arthur Kleinman. (1986) Social origins of stress
and disease: depression, neurasthenia, and pain in modern China
New Haven: Yale University Press. pp. 1-67, 143-179.
- Warner. (1985) "Recovery from schizophrenia." Boston: Routledge.
- Nancy Scheper-Hughes. Saints, Scholars, and
Shamanic healing and witchcraft accusation
Ancestor worship and religion
- Carol Laderman. "Taming the Wind of Desire:
psychology, medicine, and aesthetics in Malay shamanistic
performance." Berkeley: University of California Press. pp. 3-14,
- Jon Christopher Crocker. Vital Souls: Bororo cosmology,
natural symbolism, and shamanism. Tucson: University of Arizona
Press. pp. 197-235.
- Claude Levi-Strauss. "The effectiveness of symbols." In
Structural Anthropology Garden City, NY: Doubleday. pp.
- ----. (1969 ) The Raw and the Cooked pp. 1-32.
- ----. (1969 ) "The Archaic Illusion," In Elementary
Structures of Kinship. pp. 84-97.
- Audrey Richards. "A modern movement of witch-finders."
Africa vol. 8, 1935, no 4. pp. 448-461.
- Vincent Crapanzano. Tuhami: portrait of a Moroccan.
Religion as a culturally constituted defense mechanism.
- Meyer Fortes. (1970) "Pietas in ancestor
worship." In Time and Social Structure and other essays.
London School of Economics Monographs on Social Anthropology, No.
40. New York: Humanities Press. pp. 164-200.
- Melford Spiro. (1987) "Religious systems as culturally
constituted defense mechanisms." In Culture and Human Nature:
theoretical papers of Melford E. Spiro. Benjamin Kilbourne and
L. L. Langness (eds.) Chicago: University of Chicago Press. pp.
- Mary Douglas. "The Abominations of Leviticus" In Purity and
Possession and matted hair
- Edmund Leach. (1967) "Magical hair." In Myth and
Cosmos. John Middleton (ed.) Austin: University of Texas Press.
- Gananath Obeyesekere. (1981) Medusa's Hair. Chicago:
University of Chicago Press. pp. 13-67, 169-182.
- ----. The Work of Culture
- Erik Erikson. (1950) Childhood and Society (2nd
ed.) New York: W. W. Norton & Company. pp. 247-274.
- George E. Vaillant. (1977) Adaptation to Life Cambridge:
Harvard University Press. pp. 13-29, 351-367.
Created on 05 April 1997.
Last updated 02 November 1997.
Cage's Home Page.