ANPR 107: PSYCHOLOGICAL ANTHROPOLOGY
- Lectures: T,Th 10-11:30 a.m., Center Hall 113.
- Office Hours: Monday 9:30 am to 12 noon, SSB 265, or by
- Office Hours: Monday 2-3 p.m., or by appointment, SSB 214.
- Section: Monday 1-2 p.m., U413(2).
TA: Cage Hall
- Office Hours: Tuesday 1-2 p.m., or by appointment, SSB 213.
- Section: Tuesday 12-1 p.m., HSS 1128A.
- Office Hours: Friday 10-11 a.m., or by appointment, SSB 212.
- Section: Friday 9-10 a.m., ???.
- There will be one midterm and one final exam. The final will be due
on Friday, June 13. Both exams are take-home exams. You will
have one week to do them. All answers must be no more than two
pages, double-spaced and typed with reasonable (12-point) font.
- All the required readings are in a Reader which is
available for purchase after class during the first 2 weeks for
$45.00. There are no other required books.
- The Reader contains a schedule of topics and readings.
- The exams will include all readings, whether covered in class
or not. They also cover all material introduced in lectures.
- Section attendance is strongly encouraged.
SCHEDULE OF TOPICS
WEEKs ONE and TWO
Introduction and bare bones issues of body and psyche,
psychoanalysis and mental illness.
How culture shapes emotion at a deep level.
Anger in the Arctic.
WEEKS FOUR AND FIVE
How society creates conflicts for people.
How to be a gender deviant
How to learn to be crazy
WEEKS FIVE THROUGH NINE
Society resolves or at least manages conflict.
Mental illness and its prognosis
Shamanic healing and witchcraft accusation
Ancestor worship and religion
Possession and matted hair
FINAL EXAM -- TAKE-HOME ESSAY DUE FRIDAY, JUNE 13
Last updated: 5 APRIL 1997
Return to Cage's Home